1/2 of North America Within An 8 Hour Drive
One of the most obvious advantages of the Windsor-Essex Region is our location, at the heart of the richest consumer market in the world, where more than half of the North American population lives within an 8-hour drive. In fact, the 10th largest market in the U.S., Metropolitan Detroit with its 4.5 million people, is less than one mile away across the Detroit River.
Distance to Major Centres
|Metropolitan Area||Centres Distance (km)||Driving Time (Hours)||Population|
Source: Yahoo Maps, Statistics Canada, US Census Bureau Note: U.S. population figures are estimates for 2006, Canadian population figures are from the 2006 Census.
The Busiest Canada - U.S. Border Crossing
The United States and Canada have the largest bilateral trading relationship in the world. Approximately 30% of total trade between the U.S. and Canada crossed the Detroit-Windsor border. Daily total two-way goods trade between Ontario and the U.S. is valued over $800 million. The Detroit-Windsor border is the busiest border crossing along the entire Canada-U.S. border.
There are five surface border crossing points in Windsor-Detroit:
- The Ambassador Bridge (which handles the majority of the truck traffic),
- The Detroit-Windsor Tunnel (which runs under the Detroit River),
- The Detroit-Windsor Truck Ferry (which handles hazardous materials that are prohibited from crossing via the Bridge or Tunnel),
- A Railway tunnel, and
- The Port of Windsor
Best of All Worlds
In the Windsor-Essex Region, you will enjoy the safety and security of a small community, with big city amenities just a few miles away. Furthermore, all major league sports and concert events are just a few minutes away in Detroit.
The Windsor-Essex Region was awarded the fDi (Financial Times of London, Foreign Direct Investment magazine) award as the "#1 Best Small City" in North America for Investment. This significant distinction provides our potential investors and site location consultants with a reason to take a closer look at what we have to offer.
The Region has attractive assets that are critical to investors:
- Low housing costs and lifestyle amenities
- An abundance of highly skilled workers
- A healthcare system that alleviates the cost burden employers face within U.S. jurisdictions
- A safe and secure community with a low crime rate
- Excellent and affordable schools
- Reliable power and infrastructure throughout the region
- And, most importantly to offshore investors, access to the vast North American market with logistics by rail and highway networks, air and water