Promoting Jobs and Growth in Windsor-Essex
News Release: Ministry of Economic Development, Trade and Employment
Partnering with Business is Part of Ontario’s Economic Plan
Ontario's comprehensive economic plan includes partnering with business to create new manufacturing jobs.
Minister of Economic Development, Trade and Employment Dr. Eric Hoskins met today in Windsor with business leaders and other partners to discuss Ontario's plan to create jobs, and to announce a new partnership with a Windsor-Essex area business.
With $1.5 million in support from the province's Southwestern Ontario Development Fund, CapsCanada Corporation is renovating its Tecumseh facility, creating 34 jobs and retaining 63 more. CapsCanada is a leading provider of capsules for use in the pharmaceutical and health nutrition industries. Funding will help the company install new equipment and expand its vegetable capsule production line to meet demand from the health nutrition and pharmaceutical industries around the world.
Helping businesses stay competitive and grow in Ontario is part of the government's economic plan that is creating jobs for today and tomorrow. The comprehensive plan and its six priorities focus on Ontario's greatest strengths - its people and strategic partnerships.
- Since October 2012, the government has committed $36 million through Southwestern Ontario Development Funding, attracting a total investment of $340 million. These investments have helped to create and protect approximately 9,000 jobs in the region.
- The Windsor-Essex region has won second place for Best FDI (Foreign Direct Investment) Strategy for Small American Cities of the Future in 2013-14.
- Ontario is accepting applications for the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund from qualified businesses that are growing and creating jobs.
- Ontario’s proposed Better Business Climate Act, would, if passed, reduce burdens for business and help build regional clusters.
- Going Global: Ontario’s Trade Strategy is helping more companies export to global markets and create jobs in Ontario.
“Our province is on the right track, and our economic plan continues to help create jobs. We are committed to making sure companies have the support they need to strategically grow their businesses. With support from the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund, CapsCanada is investing in the Windsor area because of its competitive business climate, which will strengthen the company’s long-term success and create even more employment opportunities for our people.”
Dr. Eric Hoskins
Minister of Economic Development, Trade and Employment
“I’m delighted our government has this chance to work with this innovative company on their latest expansion project, bringing new opportunities for local families. While helping companies like CapsCanada boost productivity and increase competitiveness, our government’s investments are bringing good-quality jobs and economic stability to the area.”
MPP for Windsor West
“Ontario’s economic plan is making a difference in our region. The Chamber appreciates the government’s continued support and this investment will help to strengthen our local communities and bring new opportunities to our families.”
President & CEO, Windsor-Essex Regional Chamber of Commerce